10 Ways to Brighten Your Home & Enhance Your Mood
Did you know your home can have a great impact on your frame of mind? For example, dark and unappealing rooms can make you feel sad and discouraged. Bright, cheery rooms will rejuvenate you. However, there are many things you can do besides painting the walls to brighten your home and enhance your mood. Why not try a few of these ideas?
1. Add more light:
Light is one of the easiest ways to boost your mood. Increase the amount of light in a room by opening blinds and curtains every day and remove obstructions from windows such as furniture that doesn’t fit within the space correctly. Another great way to add light to a room is by using mirrors to reflect the light – This will open the space up a lot more.
2. Choose bright and cheerful paint colours:
You may be creating drama with dark brown or black paint, but dark colours don’t always help your mood.
- Dark colours aren’t the only way a room can decrease the rooms overall mood. Neutrals can also be dreary if they are not used strategically. If your room is neutral, add interest pieces of decor in metallics or bright colours.
- Bring through one bright colour within smaller pieces of decor that you know make you feel happy to give the space a lift.
- Brighter colours like yellow, pink, blue, and green can freshen up a room and give it an instant lift. Your mood will also benefit from the change.
- Breathe new life into an old piece of old furniture by painting it in a bright colour.
3. Add happy artwork
Happy artwork doesn’t necessarily mean adding lots of bright colourful canvases and prints to the walls. If something brings you joy then that is the type of art that we want to see on your walls.
Images of beautiful landscapes, animals, and abstract designs are popular choices. You can also frame your children’s artwork as a reminder of the joy they bring into your life.
4. Add flowers:
Fresh flowers are preferred and will also add a nice fragrance to a room. However, they’re not the only option. Silk flowers come in a variety of realistic choices and can instantly brighten a room.
5. Rearrange or replace decorations:
Does the vase from your aunt make you want to cry? Do you wish your decorations could get an upgrade?
- Changing the decorations in your home can help you lift your mood. Replace old and hated objects or rearrange other items. Even a simple pillow swap for new pillows can make you feel better.
6. Get rid of clutter:
Clutter can weigh you down emotionally and negatively influence your mood, even if you think you don’t notice it. If you clean your house and eliminate clutter, you’ll notice a big emotional change. Consider new storage ideas, such as bins under your bed, to prevent clutter from reappearing.
7. Work with fragrance:
If you don’t have allergies, then you can use fragrance for a positive change.
- Essential oils are one way to brighten your mood and modify the ambience in a room.
- Citrus oils like grapefruit and orange are linked to happier moods. Mint oils, such as peppermint, also have a similar effect. You can spray a small amount of the essential oils in the air to create a lasting impact. You can also add oils to a burner for another way to add fragrance.
8. Add more pictures of your family and friends:
If seeing an image of your loved ones instantly makes you smile, then consider adding more of their pictures to your home.
- The refrigerator and fireplace mantel aren’t the only locations you can display pictures of your friends and family. You can add their photos to the walls, coffee tables, and side tables.
9. Big Changes:
Think about the layout of an area in your house that you spend a lot of time and that could do would some mood enhancing love.
- Perhaps look into making the space more open plan by removing a wall.
- What are the windows like? Do they provide adequate light to your spaces? If not, then perhaps it’s time for a bigger update to the exterior so that you can enhance the interior as well.
10. Simple Changes:
Uplift your mood by making simple changes around your home. You’ll notice a difference in how you feel almost immediately.
Simple update ideas:
- Paint or wallpaper one wall in a colour or pattern that makes you feel happy, relaxed and content.
- Add a gorgeous rug to the room to add some extra interest. Bonus point for one that feels comfy on bare tootsies.
- Find some small pieces of decor that are all keeping within one theme or colour scheme and place the around the room to add interest everywhere you look.